Thursday, August 18, 2011

Plans (Part #1): From Graceland to Alayna Glory & Back!

Alayna (now 13 years old - driving a golf cart)

The year was 1997, the plan was formed and in action. Kim and I were approaching our 2nd anniversary and had developed our plan to follow the Lord. Our plan was simple, work as an over-the-road truck driver for a year or two with Kim traveling with me and we would have saved enough money to go to a Bible College. Our plans were coming together nicely; I had been hired as an over-the-road truck driver by a trucking company in Memphis and traveled by a Greyhound Bus from Middle Georgia to Memphis for the one month training program the company required.

The training started and aside from Kim and I missing one another all was well, but change was in the air. Within the first week of the training I called Kim back home in Georgia, and she had life altering news. She had just found out she was pregnant with our first child. Suddenly our plans became irrelevant and impossible. Obviously Kim could not travel over the road while she was pregnant, and of course we could not take a newborn baby cross-county. Nor did I want to be on the road five days a week leaving my wife and baby at home alone. Our plans became obsolete and I flew back to Georgia to be with my wife.

There is nothing like that kind of news to knock you into the realm of a mature-responsible adult. I quickly found a full time job as a correction officer with the Georgia Department of Corrections and before we knew it Kim and I were parents of a beautiful baby girl named Alayna Glory Savage.

Despite the major change in our lives, the Lord Jesus still had a plan for us and did not forget He had called us to serve Him...even if we had. Over the next year and a half the Lord led us back to Memphis, TN this time as a family and with another plan in our efforts to follow the Lord's leading.

No comments:

Post a Comment