Thursday, December 8, 2011

Plans (Part #4): Where ever He leads I'll follow....unless


A path in Ecuador leading down the mountain.
I have been involved in a SBC (Southern Baptist Church) since before I can remember and it was in a SBC that I received Jesus as Lord of my life.  Kim, although not raised in a Christian home, was led to the Lord by a member of a SBC and has been involved in a SBC since that time.  Naturally we thought we would go to the mission field with the IMB (International Mission Board) of the SBC, and we began the application process with the IMB in 2008 two years out from me graduating from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary.

In May 2010 I graduated from Mid-America, and Kim & I had completed all the necessary paper work, background checks, and interviews with the IMB and were just waiting on a job match.  However, these were our plans, our way of accomplishing what God had called us to and not necessarily His path for our family.  In July of 2010 we found out that the IMB was unable to send us at that time, and we were told to check back in a year, but there was a problem with that idea.  Alayna, our oldest, had just turned 12 and in a year would be 13 and the IMB will not appoint a family who has a 13 year old child.

Kim & I were devastated and confused by the news.  What did this mean?  Had we missed our call?  Had we wasted all this time and effort in seminary for no reason?  What now?  Personally, I was resistant to the thought of going with another organization other than the IMB because I understood this meant having to raise our own support.  Besides didn't God know we were in the middle of a recession?  In my heart I was not willing to go under these circumstances, it did not fit into my plans.

However, after a time of seeking the Lord, God confirmed to us that HE was still calling us to serve Him cross-culturally, and HE would provided a way.  Humbled, I submitted to follow HIM down any path HE led us to go on.  I am thankful for my wife Kim who not only was willing to follow my lead as the Lord led me; but also, was much more confident in the Lord's provision from the beginning and a voice of encouragement throughout.

You make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in your right hand there are pleasures forever. 


 - Psalm 16:11 

No comments:

Post a Comment